Thursday, November 8, 2012

#tbt guacamole

As promised, here is the #tbt with the guacamole recipe. I know, I know, it's a week late. But see, here's what happened. True story.

After a super awesome and fun Halloween night, I returned to my apartment to find that the internet that I have been using while the internet line that I pay for is still inactive (two months later...but I finally after two months got a bank account and phone. In France, beggars can't be choosers...) leaving me with only internet on my phone. And I do not have an unlimited data plan here, so sorry- no posts.

But for now, we're back! Also, tomorrow morning at 8am (so 2am EST), I will be entering the kitchen to perform for my final, one last time in Basic cuisine. We have been given a list of ten dishes. We will walk in there and choose one of them from a hat and proceed to write out the ingredients list, turn that in, be given the actual ingredients list, and then prep, cook, and serve the dish in less than 2.5 hours. We also have to hard-boil and poach an egg, the correct way during that time. This is 45% of my grade, so if I fail, I fail.

So, I also have not had a lot of free time this week to deal with my internet problems.

With that being said, I am back and posting on this lovely Thursday with my tried and true guacamole recipe. It's really easy and I usually, at least, double it.


2 avocados
3 Tbl lemon or lime juice (half a lime)
2 Tbl minced cilantro
1/3 c diced onion
3 Tbl chopped tomatoes
½ tsp salt
pepper
½ tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic
hot sauce


Actually, being in cooking school has not changed much about how I make this recipe. My dad found it a long time ago on line or in a magazine and then he finagled with it to get to this ratio. It's been finagled well and good.

Of course, start with the avocados- I mash with a fork. Then acidity immediately on to them to keep them from turning. From there, it's diced onion and chopped tomatoes. The quantities on those two are not exact- for a doubled recipe, I'd use 3 tomatoes (but I really like tomato), 2 onions. Mince the garlic. If you're one of those soapy cilantro people, then leave it out.

It's better if it sits in the refridgerator, so make it ahead of time, film over the top, touching the guac to keep from oxidizing or forming a skin. If you're serving immediately, it will need more salt- just a warning.

That's about it and see you on the other side of my basic final!

No comments:

Post a Comment