Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Bakehouse

So, I have always had this dream to go to Ireland.

I'm not that big of a traveller really, which often surprises people. But, I'm not.

For a few reasons actually:

1. Traveling stresses me out- trains, flights, crowds, the whole things is giving me slight anxiety chest pains and tingly muscles thinking about it as I type this.

2. I don't like being stressed

3. I don't like not being able to speak the native language or feel rushed to get to know a place because I only have 3 days!

4. I like relaxing on beaches with sun (something my albino-like skin can no longer remember as a result of the past 4 grey months of Parisian weather)

So, with these reasons and I'm sure others that I can't think of right now, I do not like "traveling." I prefer beach vacations to places that I have been before. OR just moving somewhere new like I am now. Though, I would not recommend this for the weak of heart, either.

But there are a few places that are an exception to this rule. Ireland was one of them. Turkey would be another- I have got to see the Hagia Sophia (I once wrote a 10 page paper about how the now Mosque and the Empress Roxelana together offered a unique look into how Ottoman Islamic culture accepted beauty in relation with "others" or outsiders- I could totally send it to anyone who wants to read it) as Russian nationals wrote back to their czar about the cathedral in the 10th century,
“We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth. For on earth there is not such splendor or such beauty, and we are at a loss how to describe it. We only know that God dwells there among men, and that their service is fairer than the ceremonies of other nations. For we cannot forget that beauty."
So, obvs, I gots to go theres.

But, I digress. BACK TO IRELAND.

(Obviously IRELAND in all caps will lead to a picture in front of the Guinness factory)

So, being on my short list of places that I really wanted to go to, I dragged our group of travelers along to Ireland. It was winter, so not super green, but still pretty amazing. The people could not have been friendlier. Plus, the food was pretty great. From random pubs on the street to a brand new, chic place to eat (I'll write about it later), the food was really pretty great. And a surprise- while I was expecting a lot from Ireland (like good beer and whiskey), I was not expecting much in the food department.

However, I was pleasantly surprised.

We were in Dublin for 3.5 days and ended up eating breakfast/lunch at The Bakehouse for 3 of those mornings.

WHOOPS! I think they thought that we were kinda weird.

(The counter and baked-goods. I stole this from their Facebook page)


But we kinda fell in love with it. As my friend B said, "There is nothing NOT cute in this cafe."

From the decor to the menus to the baked goods to the chef (he was pretty cute even with his black eye!) to the waitresses to the owner in her pink cardigan, it was without a doubt one of the cutest little places I have been in a long time.

It was also packed. All three days.

I usually got the Potato Farl with sauteed onions and mushrooms, cheese on top, and a grilled tomato. I also put a fried egg on top (because that makes all breakfast foods better). It was pretty superb. Though, I heard from the others that the sausage sandwich, soda bread, all omelets, and christmas salad were also delicious. I also had a bite of my friend's cupcakes and they were pretty amazing. Much better than certain famous cupcake shops in DC, but I won't say names.

So, if you find yourself in Dublin, check out The Bakehouse. Seriously. Just Do It. You'll thank me later.


No comments:

Post a Comment