Thursday, September 6, 2012

I don't believe in Jesus, I just believe in Mirepoix...

Or at least I'm pretty sure this is what John Lennon would have written if his ego had not stopped him at the first syllable of the last word.

Because today was all about stocks and making new friends (insert cheesy line about how friends and stocks are both the basis of life here). But its true. Stocks may not taste like much, but they create the foundation for your best sauces and dishes. And boy, how I love a good sauce. (Especially one with mayonnaise, but well get to this later)

There are so many types of stocks- white, brown, fish, chicken, beef, veal, etc. but the basis remains the same: roast the bones then simmer it for a standard amount of time (more from veal, less for fish) with a mirepoix of vegetables and garnish bouquet and water and viola! a fundamental culinary element. 

I spent over 3 hours today watching this happen (and i loved every minute, but i doubt everyone else will feel the same). If you are curious, let me know and I will give you more details personally.

After the stock lecture/demonstration, about 10-15 of us went to the "Le Cordon Bleu bar" which was fantastic and very cheap. Apparently, pastry students don't go; only cuisine. Pastry students go to less "dive bar-y" places at farther away locations. Oh politics. I feel like I'm back at the DC Republican club versus Democrat Club debates. Either way, it was great to hang out with my new classmates (as well as more advanced students who gave us pointers!) and friends and get to know them besides asking each other if our uniforms are being worn correctly (laugh now, this is a very serious matter).

All my love,
e

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you are so excited and having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete