Sunday, September 30, 2012

Paris

Dad came to visit me here in Paris!

But this afternoon after Dad left to go back to the States, (he stopped by to visit me last night/this morning after finishing at his conference in Leon, Spain- it was a great visit and I couldn't have been happier to see anyone!) I made my way over to the gardens with my copy of The Hunchback of Notre Dame for a relaxing and enjoyable afternoon.

While reading Hugo's prose, I came across this quote, the last sentence of the eleventh chapter, this afternoon and it is so completely expressive of the city that I had to share it:

"Listen, then, to this tutti of steeples: diffuse over the whole the murmur of half a million of people- the everlasting plaint of the river- the boundless breathings of the wind- the grave and far quartet of the four forests placed upon the hills in the distance like so many vast organs, immersing in them, as in a demi-tint all in the central concert that would otherwise be too rugged or too sharp; and then say whether you know of anything in the world more rich, more joyous, more golden, more dazzling than this tumult of bells and chimes- this furnace of music- these thousand voices of brass, all singing together in flutes of stone three hundred feet high- this city which is all one orchestra- this symphony as loud as a tempest."

No comments:

Post a Comment