Saturday, September 8, 2012

Body art


I think I've figured out why so many chefs have tattoos. It's because you can't wear ANY jewelry while cooking. No stud earrings, no watches, no eyebrow piercings. And they can't just be covered up, they have to be taken out.

This posed a problem for me this week as I have (now had) a permanent second-hole ear piercing. It happened 4 years ago when I was living in Israel. My roommate was getting her nose pierced and I went along for the second hole in my left ear. Somehow, I ended up with a beginner gage/gauge (idk how to spell it but it's one of those spreader earrings that makes your piercing bigger so you can stretch out the hole) that I have thought for the past 4 years was permanent.

I have tried for four years to take out that small, plain metal stud and put in something much more pretty. But to no avail.

Enter Le Cordon Bleu and their absolutely no piercing rule. The permanent earring would have to be cut with a metal pliers.

So I go to the piercing tattoo shop that's recommended to me by an administrator at the school and try to explain my predicament to the well-metalled receptionist. I think he tells me that *he can help me in one hour. He actually tells me that the piercing artist (?) will be there in an hour.

It takes me over an hour and a half to figure out my mistake. But i finally work up the courage to "talk" (more like monkey gesture) to the piercing artist. Turns out, he speaks perfect English!

"I'm a culinary student," I explain, "they won't let me keep it. (because of course I love piercings, piercing man) And it's permanent. It has to be cut out."

"Let me look." he grabs my ear, "No. It's just a twist."

"No, it's definitely permanent."

"No. I am sure. Come in here." (Here being the studio room)

15 seconds later, the earring is gone. He has screwed it out of my head.

I thought they were going to bury me with this thing.

I don't think he would have thought I was any more of a dumb American than if I would have had "YOU BETTA RECOGNIZE!" with a picture of Honey-Boo-Boo tattooed to my forehead. 

Wait. He may have actually appreciated that kind of artistic detail because I only get the best piercings/tattoos, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment